Monday 30 September 2013

Mini Post: Remote Procedure Call Failed. [0x800706be] (SQL Server 2008 / 2008 R2)

Hey everyone! Yes, it's Mini Post time.

After you have installed SQL Server 2008 or 2008 R2 (on possibly a Windows 7 or 8 machine) and you attempt to go into the Configuration Manager you may see the following:

Fig. 1: The error in question.

This seems to be a bug that a few people run into (including myself recently). The solution(s) are as follows:

SQL Server 2008

  • Upgrade to Service Pack 3. Found here (worked for me!).
  • If the above does not work, use the steps to recreate the WMI Repository found here.

SQL Server 2008 R2

  • Upgrade to Service Pack 1 or 2. Found here and here respectively. 
  • If the above does not work, use the steps to recreate the WMI Repository found here.

If anyone knows the exact cause of this bug, please feel free to share in the comments below. It will benefit everyone. :-)


DISCLAIMER: As stated, I’m not an expert so please, PLEASE (by all means!) feel free to politely correct or comment as you see fit. Your feedback is always welcomed. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I never shut down my laptop properly everytime I stopped using. Then, I discovered that my SSMS stopped working. I think this could be the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! I also have that bad habit sometimes, so you may right and that may very well be the reason.

      Delete